Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Maya Lin : Art X Architecture

Maya Lin really stood out to me when I learned she created the Vietnam memorial. I have visited the nations capital many times and seen all the monuments every time. And each time I go back the Vietnam is still the most jaw-dropping. This monument is so powerful and reflective yet so simple, it really gets to me. The marble wall lists every fallen soldier during the bloody vietnam war. The total causalities from that war totals to 58,207. When your walking down the wall you think the names are never going to stop. I wonder how long Lin must have taken engraving all those names. It truly is wonderful. 

This is the Vietnam memorial during a beautiful Washington D.C sunset. As you can see it is a long wall that utters such sadness however looks beautiful with the sun reflecting off it. 

Maya Lin is an incredibly gifted lady. She gets her inspiration of art from landscape. She studies the earth and looks upon it in many different ways. She is a huge environmentalist, and always tries to make the environment the subject of her work. In the Eleven Minute Line she creates a long serpent like line that curves through a field. She found inspiration from the mounds because of ancient Indian tribes burial mounds. I loved how she created this on a farm with cattle. The artist was also interested in line drawing and how something 2-dimensional is viewed 3-dimensional. I am a huge fan or earthworks it interest me how artist can take such natural beauties and make them more amazing.

Eleven Minute Line
Wanas Foundation, Wanas, Sweden, 2004

 This picture is great, I love the cow that is standing on top of the mound. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment